Monday, July 4, 2016
American Flag Cake
recipes adapted from ourbestbites.com
1 c. butter
1 1/2 c. buttermilk
2 c. white-wheat flour
1 1/3 c, white sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
3 tsp. vanilla
1 recipe cream cheese frosting (recipe below)
1 pint blueberries, rinsed
1 quart strawberries, rinsed, hulled and sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a half sheet (13x18") with 2 equal sized pieces of parchment paper.
2. Combine the butter and buttermilk in a medium saucepan and bring just to a boil. Remove from heat.
3. In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add the buttermilk/ butter mixture and mix until combined. Add the eggs and vanilla to the cake mixture after tempering the egg mixture. Mix until smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared baking sheet and bake for 18-24 minutes or until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean. (baking time will vary depending on oven...mine was done after 18 minutes.)
4. When the cake has cooled, cut the cake in half right along the parchment paper. Transfer the first half of the cake to your serving platter or a smaller pan; this is the first layer. Careful to keep parchment under the cake. Spread about a third of the frosting evenly over the cake. Top with alternating columns of slices of strawberries and blueberries. Spread a thin layer of frosting on top of the other half of the sheet cake to act a s a glue to the 1st layer.
5. Flip the 2nd half of the sheet cake over on top of the 1st layer. Remove parchment paper from 2nd layer. Cover cake with remaining frosting.Lightly mark a flag pattern into the frosting, then fill the upper left rectangle with blueberries and every other stripe with strawberry slices. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Tip: You can use toothpicks to keep your plastic wrap from smearing your frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
2 8-oz. packages cream cheese at almost room temp.
1/2 c. unsalted butter at almost room temp.
1 1/3 c. sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
In a food processor pulse butter until smooth. Add cream cheese and pulse until combined. Add in powdered sugar and vanilla; pulse til smooth. Refrigerate frosting and anything you've frosted that is not eaten immediately.