The girls were both sick today with a cough and runny nose so I decided to make them a soup to help them feel better.
- 2 T. canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- a pinch of salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups dried cooked chickpeas, or 1 (15-ounce) can, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups mashed potatoes or peeled chopped fresh potatoes
- 1/2 tsp. ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 8 cups vegetable broth, divided into 6 cups and 2 cups
- 1 cup dried small elbow pasta
- 1 tsp. agave syrup
- 1 cup frozen peas, rinsed with warm water
Directions: 1. Preheat a 4 quart soup pot over medium heat and add the oil. Saute the onion and celery in the oil with a pinch of salt until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds or so.
2. Add the carrots, chickpeas, potatoes, thyme, Old Bay seasoning, and 6 cups of broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to a simmer, add the pasta, and cook until the pasta and vegetables are soft, about 10 more minutes.
3. Add the agave, 2 cups of broth, and frozen peas and heat through for about 5 minutes on medium-low heat and an additional 10 minutes on low heat. Remove from heat and serve.