This recipe is adapted from Bread Machine Challah II by: Marylyn Pisseri on allrecipes.com
Makes 2 loaves
- 1 c. warm water
- 1/2 c. canola oil
- 1 T. honey
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 c. white sugar
- 4 1/2 c. flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tsp. bread machine yeast
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 T. water
1. Place warm water, canola oil, honey, eggs, sugar, flour, salt, and yeast in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select Dough cycle, press Start.
2. After the machine is done, take the dough out, and place it on a very lightly floured board, punch the dough down, and let it rest for 5 minutes
3. Divide the dough in half. Then divide into 3 equal pieces, roll into ropes about 12 to 14 inches, and braid into a loaf. Do the same with the remaining other half. Gently put the loaves on a greased cookie sheet, mist with water, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and let rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours in a warm, draft free place, until double in size.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a small bowl, beat together 1 egg and 1 tablespoon water.
5. Brush risen loaves with egg mixture. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 to 25 minutes. If it begins to brown too soon, cover with foil.
Note: I baked the loaves for 15 minutes then covered them with foil for the last 5 minutes. I found Isa's video on how to braid Challah very helpful, here is the link: http://instagram.com/p/dz-2rjGHMf/